It’s easy to express your love for the earth, friends and sweethearts by choosing green gifts and cards. The green gift ideas below will show how much you care for others while helping to protect natural resources.
Good Green Habits for Green Gifts and Gifts
- Purchase a card made from recycled paper.
- Write a poem or note in a card you have made using scrap paper and/or parts of old cards.
- Give yummy organic chocolate.
- E-mail a card.
- Bake and package goodies in reusable/recyclable containers.
- Give a potted plant, flower, or tree that can be planted in spring.
- Purchase a green gift that produces less waste, such as a movie/concert ticket or gift certificate.
- Make jewelery from recycled buttons and beads.
- Give a reusable water bottle or coffee mug.
- Offer public transportation tickets
P.S. Don’t forget to give the gift in a resuable bag!
It’s estimated that Americans purchase nearly 30 million Christmas trees each year. Yes, trees do add a delicious fragrance and seasonal sparkle to your living room. However, if discarded in landfills after the holiday blitz, they also add needless waste to our planet’s growing mountains of trash. And, trees can’t even decompose in landfills because landfills don’t offer up enough oxygen. Gasp…what’s a tree to do?
Good Green Habits for Christmas Trees
Luckily, you can take one of the following eco steps to make sure your Christmas tree gets recycled into soil-enriching mulch─and keep it from clogging your local landfill.
- Use your garbage company’s Christmas tree recycling program─call them for a pickup schedule and details.
- Cut your tree into pieces and place in the green waste cart supplied by your garbage company for pickup on any service day.
- Visit Earth911.com to find a nearby recycling location.
- Contact city or county offices to ask about tree recycling events offered in your community.
ECO IDEA: Consider investing in a LIVING Christmas tree next year!