If you haven’t already noticed, the earth is trying to cope with the result of bad habits and practices of our ancestors. It could be the bad of habits of thousands and millions of individuals and families. Or, it could be the bad habits of big businesses and companies. Maybe it is a combination of both. Yet, that was then and this is now. You are not a lone bird anymore. Together, we can fix this. We all need to step up and do what we can for our planet. We need to keep it green!
You may think you’re already doing everything you can to help the environment. However, there’s usually an eco-friendly practice or green habit that you haven’t thought of that can help big time.
You may find it a no brainer to change up your habits or you may find it challenging, but whatever the case, each thing you do can make the world a better place for you right now and for everybody else in the future.
8 Ways To Keep It Green
- Flex your buying power. Purchase products with less packaging, buy organic products and produce and seek out and support local companies.
- Collect water to hydrate your plants. There are several ways to do this. For example, place a container outdoors and collect water when it rains. Or, keep a bucket or pitcher in the bathroom and collect water in it as you wait for water to heat before you take a shower or wash your face.
- Pay Bills Online or Call to Pay. There’s no need to pay for stamps or slaughter a tree to make sure your bills are paid on time. These days, it’s just as easy to pay your bills online or by phone. Online accounts usually also allow you to track your account’s activity!
- Get Informed. Read books or watch movies that document the food industry and environment. Movies that focus on food and our planet are Amazing Planet, Discovery Atlas, Food Inc. and Food Matters.
- Eat Vegan Several Times a Week. Going vegan doesn’t have to be an all or nothing proposition. Almost everybody who cares about the planet knows about Meatless Monday. If you’ve tried it, you’ve probably noticed that it’s incredibly easy. One day a week, make your spaghetti with vegetables, soy meatballs or scrambled vegetables and tofu—instead of meat. If like most of us, you’ve probably found that it’s easy peasy to eat vegan just one day a week. So, we suggest that you step up your game to include Meatless Thursday. If you’re looking for recipes, search Google for “meatless main dishes” or something similar.
- Take A Cup to Starbucks. Carry a reusable coffee cup in your car for trips to Starbucks or your local coffee shop. The planet and the coffee shop will thank you for it. You’ll save trees for the planet, money for the coffee shop, and your coffee will taste better, be easier to carry and will stay hot longer. It’s a win-win for all.
- Votes Count. Vote for politicians that care about the planet and give your support to those who want to help keep it green!
- Go solar. If you can afford to install a solar system in your home, well, more power to you! If you’re unable to make that sometimes expensive financial commitment, you can start smaller and cheaper. For example, single solar lights are really quite affordable these days and the new designs are fashionable and affordable. You can buy them at hardware stores, grocery stores and online.